One of our top priorities is delving deeply into proposals to arrive at opinions, maybe even a consensus, of how we think poverty can best be addressed.
In January 2017 we have begun a series of meetings focused on understanding these proposals better with the goal of developing a strong proposal.
Here are notes from meeting on January 22.
Here is Rob’s presentation on the Universal Basic Income (UBI) Jan. 29, 2017
Here is Dan’s presentation on the Universal Basic Income and Jobs Guarantee part given on Jan. 29, part on Feb. 5, 2017
Recording of Gerald’s presentation: Human aspect of notorious BIG
Comments and questions regarding on UBI from or provoked by Gerald’s presentation
Writing, Videos and other material for the discussion
Discussions of pros and cons of different proposals
- The Basic Income and Job Guarantees are Complementary, not Opposing Policies
- Job Guarantee versus Universal Basic Income Guarantee: New Economy Coalition / Jacobin event
- Martin Luther King’s Economic Dream: A Guaranteed Income for All Americans
- See also MLK on Guaranteed Income
- Why conservative economist Milton Friedman, neoliberalism’s framer, supported a universal basic income
- Introducing Circles – Universal Basic Income
- 8 basic income experiments to watch out for in 2017
- Global Basic Income-AN ANCIENT IDEA READY FOR PRIMETIME
- Free Cash in Finland. Must Be Jobless.
- Are We Headed For ‘Automated Luxury Communism’?
- BIEN: Basic Income Earth Network
- Uber-capitalist Bill Gross says government should print money and pay UBI
Jobs Guarantee programs.
readings and resources
Full Employment: The Road Not Taken
The full employment at the center of economic and social policies
Working For a Better World: The Social and Economic Benefits of Employment Schemes
The Benefits of Full Employment
Economics of Shared Prosperity
Americans Widely Back Government Job Creation Proposals
One suggestion of how to pay for the proposals is out of earnings on the nations assets. These articles relate to that idea.
- The Federal Government’s $128 Trillion Stockpile: The Answer to Our Debt Problems?
- Federal Assets Above and Below Ground
- The US Government Is Absolutely Not $16 Trillion In The Hole
Jobs Guarantee: How do we achieve?
Before Financialization – Works Progress Administration established in the 1930s
New York City Department of Youth and Community Development
American’s Job Act
National Jobs For All Coalition
US Department of Labor – Employment and Training Administration – Carter Administration
Lessons from a Job Guarantee
Interesting reading on jobs and income
- Job creation – an alternative perspective:
- Social Economy Job creation arguments:
- Economic Ecology helps create jobs:
- Pointless jobs
- The Commons – historical view of property rights
- Anthropological Theory of Value – what the heck is that?