As I see it, the state senate survey will go like this:
- Common Cause (or coalition) will write the survey
- UWS Action (with help from others and BoE) will identify who is running in primaries and get contact information (email and phone) for each campaign
- Common Cause (or coalition) will email survey to camaigns
- UWS Action will contact campaigns to confirm they’ve gotten them (send another link if needed) and encourage them to fill them out.
- Campaigns will fill out surveys on-line and info will be collected and posted online by coalition (not UWS Action — need to confirm this )
- A couple of weeks later, UWS Action will contact campaigns that have not filled out survey to ask them to.
Modest complication since we will have most of the campaigns identified by mid-June (IDC and opponents, open seats etc.) we will do steps 2-4 in two waves 1) everyone we know about in mid-June 2) the campaigns we find out about from BoE when filing deadline has passed.
While this will make it a little harder to keep track, it’ll spread out the work and have less of it in August when it’ll be harder to do. It will also have the benefit that Common Cause can re-send the survey to anyone who hasn’t filled it out in the first round.
A lot of districts have safe incumbents so I’m guessing that neither party will have contested primaries in those districts so the job will be smaller than it could be. Then there will be a round in September for the general election but that will be 1/2 done already from the primaries (and a lot of the remaining races won’t be competitive so it won’t matter a lot).